Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Op Ed by Darren Allen

Darren Allen has a great opinion piece in the Times Argus this week. He writes:

As a Burlington jury continues to hear reasons for and against putting convicted killer Donald Fell to death, we here in Vermont would do well to remember why a death penalty case is playing out in a state that outlawed it decades ago.

More than three years ago, the native of Wilkes-Barre, Pa., agreed with federal prosecutors to plead guilty to kidnapping and killing Tressa King of North Clarendon in exchange for spending the rest of his life in jail with no chance of parole.

The deal, struck between Fell's defense attorneys and the U.S. attorney's office in Vermont, would have achieved justice by any definition of the word: an admission of guilt and an appropriate relinquishment of Fell's personal liberty.

It also was consistent with Vermont's anti-death penalty ethos and with the state's fundamental decency in tempering all acts of justice with a modicum of mercy.

Alas, then-Attorney General John Ashcroft didn't see it that way. He rejected the plea deal, deciding that execution was the only appropriate ending to this case.

...

It's no accident that we were the first state to outlaw slavery or to give same-sex couples rights approaching those of married couple, or that we are one of the few states left without a death penalty. In this case, it appears that Ashcroft and the Bush administration wanted to use Vermont as a petri dish, to sort of see what could foment in this tolerant place. The prospect of achieving a death sentence in one of the bluest of blue states must be very exciting for the federal government. Wouldn't that just show us how out of touch we all are?

I don't envy the jurors in this case — they have a wrenching decision ahead of them. And I don't think any of us should judge them, regardless of where they ultimately come out.

Of course, the family of the victim was against the plea deal and they, too, have legitimate reasons for seeking the ultimate punishment. They lost a wonderful mother, sister and friend who even tried to befriend Fell and his now dead co-defendant, Robert J. Lee, before they brutally ended her life.

Unlike with the rejected plea deal, the jury's decision in this case will not be the last. If death is imposed — or, frankly, even if it isn't — you can expect years of appeals, appeals that will be brutal for Tressa King's family to endure.

...

But we should remember that without compassion, without mercy, we as a society are tacitly acknowledging that people can't ever change, and that some human life isn't worth a second thought. A society that rejects mercy imperils its very survival.

9 Comments:

At 6:59 AM, Blogger mikeprehiem84422791 said...

i thought your blog was cool and i think you may like this cool Website. now just Click Here

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Bar Supply Guy said...

I was doing research on auto accident attorney and came across your site Vermonters Against the De h Penalty. The title Op Ed by Darren Allen attracked me. This is good reading, I'll pass it on to my girlfriend. She likes this kind of stuff. If you or any of your readers can help or offer information on auto accident attorney let me know. Glad I ran into your inspiration. I like to read blogs for creative ideas and themes. I get a lot of good ideas for acting. Thanks again for your time. Keep it up.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Las Vegas Night Club VIP Passes said...

Hey Vermonters Against the De h Penalty, I had a little time to kill and found your post titled Op Ed by Darren Allen. I was searching for vermont attorney. Don't ask me how but your site came up. I enjoyed some of your posts. They gave me an idea. Funny how things work sometimes, don't you agree? Anyway I gotta run late for work get back to you later. Thanks from Las Vegas

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger TheDevilIsInTheDetails said...

Another abortion clinic marlton Resource... LifeLaw.org . A discussion forum for all that deals with such hot-button issues as abortion clinic marlton .

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Bar Supply Guy said...

What will they think of next? Here I was looking for us attorney general and I end up reading about Op Ed by Darren Allen. What a change I would never think about that. Wonderful to run into your site Vermonters Against the De h Penalty. Gave me a little break from my world. My world is in Las Vegas.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Bar Supply Guy said...

I liked your information in Op Ed by Darren Allen. Too bad it doesn't have more on new jersey attorney. I was looking for new jersey attorney in my area. Enjoyed reading what you have. I'll check back later when I get some spare time next week. Thanks Vermonters Against the De h Penalty.

 
At 3:07 AM, Blogger johneyflynn8902651179 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

http://pennystockinvestment.blogspot.com

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger johneybrooks36349465 said...

Get any Desired College Degree, In less then 2 weeks.

Call this number now 24 hours a day 7 days a week (413) 208-3069

Get these Degrees NOW!!!

"BA", "BSc", "MA", "MSc", "MBA", "PHD",

Get everything within 2 weeks.
100% verifiable, this is a real deal

Act now you owe it to your future.

(413) 208-3069 call now 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger victor said...

know only i read your blog its very nice information its very cool blog
i like this blog
,, thanks for sharing ,,

___________________
victor
We do your Marketing for best sales

 

Post a Comment

<< Home